Now that I’m officially in the Christmas spirit, there’s no stopping the baking and carolling for the next four weeks. I’m a woman possessed, and I’m not even a little bit sorry about it.
Last week, while perusing the grocery store, I happened upon a sale that I just couldn’t resist: eggnog! It was as though Atlantic Superstore knew precisely what was in my heart, and I grabbed a litre to put in my basket faster than you can say Mistletoe.
Rarely will I sit down and drink a cup of eggnog – even with rum – but I do love, love, looooove its spicy, creamy taste. As I prepared to do some baking for the week, I thought of my eggnog sitting unopened in the fridge and considered having a glass with a freshly baked sugar cookie… and then I had a better thought: I’d bake the eggnog right into the cookie.
- 3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. eggnog (I used Scotsburn low-fat)
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (you can’t skip this – it makes the cookies fluffy!)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves, nutmeg or allspice
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream together butter/margarine and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla and eggnog and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt and spices.
- Gradually add flour mixture to your wet ingredients, beating until mixed.
- Roll cookie dough into balls by the tablespoonful, and then roll through your sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place one inch apart on a baking pan, covered in parchment paper.
- Bake 12 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 350*C or until just barely browned. The cookies will be puffy and soft.
Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days, or wrap in a festive cookie tin for a beautiful gift… assuming you don’t eat them all first.
3 thoughts on “eggnog snickerdoodles: the only holiday cookie you need”
Mmm! These sound good! It’s a great recipe for people who like the *idea* of eggnog, but buy it and let it sit in the fridge unopened until well into the new year. 🙂
Cookies seem like a much more efficient delivery system. 😀